Tips For Choosing Your A-levels

Tips For Choosing Your A-levels

I remember when I had to choose my A-level options in year 11 and I had a fairly clear idea of what I wanted to do but I know it isn't that easy for everyone. It's a really important decision that could potentially have an impact on your future. But saying that, it's also important you don't let it overwhelm you.
 
These are some of the best tips I can give you for choosing your A-levels but it's also a good idea to get advice from those who know you, such as your parents or teachers.
 

1. Ask Lots Of Questions

It's really important that your choice is as informed as possible so that you know exactly what you're signing up for. Some important questions you could ask are: what topics will you be studying? What's the pass rate? What's the proportion of exams vs coursework?
 

2. Don't Be Afraid To Move

One of the greatest decisions I made when choosing my A-levels was the decision to move schools. Moving to a new place for my sixth form studies really re-sparked my joy for learning and I love school so much more now! Don't be afraid to do the same!
 

3. Pick Subjects For The Right Reasons

Of course, the subjects you choose are the most important thing so make sure you're picking them for the right reasons! Do you enjoy the subject? Are you good at it? Especially don't pick a subject because its easy - just because a course is less intense, doesn't mean it's necessarily better!
 

4. If You Can Manage It, Pick 4 Subjects Or An Extra AS-Level

Having 4 subjects instead of 3 has a number of benefits but the biggest benefit it brings is choice. Having 4 subjects means that should you want to drop one, the opportunity is there and this can be really beneficial if you're not enjoying a subject. Also, this gives you the opportunity to earn more UCAS points which will really help you to get into university
 

5. Consider BTECs With Caution

One thing I think people aren't made fully aware of is the implications of taking a BTEC subject as one of your options on your university choices. I don't recommend taking one as one of three but would recommend it as a fourth. This is because they're not for everyone and some universities favour normal A-levels over BTECs. Having said that, they can be great for upping your UCAS points, if you like doing coursework or if they're taken as an extra option.
 

6. Try To Think Of University

I know that university isn't for everyone but if you think it could be even a possible option then keep it in mind. If you do know what you want to study at uni, then it would be a great idea to look into what A-levels they prefer. If not, then it's also a good idea to choose at least one facilitating subject that can be applied to many different courses such as the sciences, English or maths.


I really hope you found these tips helpful. I'm in my second year of my A-levels now and they're the best tips I could give. Obviously, I'm no careers advisor so I would really recommend talking to others about your decision. And remember, you'll always have a little while to change your options if you change your mind later!

I wish you the best of luck in your A-levels and anything you do before.

I hope you have a great day and if it's your birthday, happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment