Tips For Teachers That Don't Allow Time For Notes

Tips for when you lack time in class
 
Unfortunately, I know only too well the struggle that is trying to take notes in lessons when the teacher goes too fast. Although teachers should really go at a pace that everyone is comfortable, this isn't always the case and sometimes its really quite difficult to take notes in class.
 
Over time, I have developed a couple tricks that have helped me to write faster and become more accustomed to this but sometimes it can be hard! So I thought I'd try to help you by putting together a list of tips to help you deal with teachers that don't allow time for note taking!
 

1. Read material before the lesson

If you have a text book or pre-printed notes/handouts then its a great idea to read them before you go the lesson so you have a general understanding of what's going to be taught and then you wont be caught up on the basics.
 

2. Use your phone to take pictures of the notes you missed

I do this all the time! This means that I can quickly and easily access the notes and add in anything I know I've missed. If you have to do this often, I recommend storing them on an app like Evernote with a title of the topic, that way you won't have lots of random pictures of work on your phone.
 
3. Use Google to find similar or even the same examples your teacher uses
Sometimes writing down examples isn't the best use of your time and instead writing key points/methodology is a better use of time. Googling examples can also help to consolidate ideas and give you a different perspective if you don't understand.

4. Don't try to write down everything!

Try your best to condense the material into just the key points, rather than copying word for word. This will help to develop your understanding and save you time.
 

5. Develop a quick note taking system

This is one of the most important things when taking notes! Developing a note taking system that works for you can save you much needed time and energy. For example, write in bullet points instead of paragraphs and make sure to use abbreviations and symbols such as arrows or exclamation marks next to key points instead of swapping your pen colour.
 

6. Ask them to email or provide you with the presentations they use

If your teacher uses PowerPoints or something similar in their lessons, then ask them to email you these or save them onto a memory stick for you. This way, you can accesses them outside of the lesson to top up the notes you missed.
 

7. Print these out before the lesson if possible!

This way, you can save time writing the basics and instead just annotate them and highlight them to pick out the important information. This also means you can focus on writing down what the teacher says rather than what's on the PowerPoint!
 

8. Ask the teacher about anything you missed

After all, it is their job to help you to learn so don't be afraid to ask them to go back or for any extra help you need. They may even have extra material or textbooks you can use.
 
9. Combine & swap your notes with others
One of the best things you can do when studying or taking notes is combining your notes with other people and with other recourses such as text books! Taking everything from a variety of different sources will ensure you have everything you need! I personally like using two text books, the PowerPoint, my friends notes and my own notes.
 
10. Rewrite and Review ASAP
I seriously recommend rewriting and reviewing your notes as soon as you can so you have a great revision recourse for later on and so you can really make sure you understand the content. Doing it quickly after you've learnt it will make sure the material is fresh in your mind and will help prevent it from piling up!
 


I really hope you found this helpful because I know how hard it can be when your teachers move too fast. I think its just a case of getting accustomed to it and making sure you go over everything you missed.

I hope you have a great day and if it's your birthday, happy birthday!
 

4 comments:

  1. Great tips, my teachers always talk too fast or too slowly...there's no inbetween haha! Leonie x
    https://prettyrainclouds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really could've used this at uni because my lecturers would always move so fast through slides and I always ended up with illegible notes! Fab tips xx
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!I guess I have that to look forward to next year then haha! Thank you for reading,
      Freya xx

      Delete